This was going to be a vegetarian rice bowl but then I found chorizo in the fridge and… now it’s not.
An unusual combination of flavours here – Spanish and Asian. But it worked.
What to use – serves 1
- Brown rice
- An inch or so of chorizo (optional) – you don’t need a lot – sliced and quartered
- A red pepper – cubed
- A shallot
- Half a courgette – cubed
- A few small broccoli florets
- 3 mushrooms – quartered
- Half an avocado – cubed
- Olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic – crushed
- A small bunch of parsley and coriander – chopped
- Juice of a quarter of a lemon
- Chilli – I used 2 teaspoons of chili sauce
- Ginger – I used 4 strands of the ready chopped stuff and cut it into small pices
- Soy sauce
How to use it
Put the rice on to boil.
Saute the chorizo in a good table spoon of olive oil – low heat. After a couple of minutes add the shallot and sauté. Wash and chop your courgette (slice then quarter) and add to the pan. Grate some ginger (to taste) and add to the pan. Then bit by bit add the other bits – quarter the mushrooms, chop the pepper into small pieces, and add the chilli. When cooked, turn off the heat. You can reheat quickly once the rice is ready.
A couple of minutes before the rice is due to be ready, add the broccoli florets to the rice pan to steam.
When the rice and broccoli are ready, drain and put back into the pan. Scoop in the veg mix, squeeze in some lemon, add a generous splash of soy, the handful of chopped parsley and coriander and stir well.
Serve with half an avocado cubed on top.